TONIGHT Tuesday, 10/9
Adam Ashbach (music 21+/ $5-$8/Double Door)
After a period of relative quiet, Adam Ashbach (ex-band leader of Lollapalooza vets Musical Outfits) will make his return to the Chicago stage with a show at Double Door on Oct. 9 (supporting local garage poppers Jonny Rumble)
Check out all the details here at Double Door's main site.
Check out Adam's FB page here.
After living in Brooklyn for a short time to pursue the artist’s dream, Adam Ashbach came home to Chicago in 2008 and recorded the well-received EP Puzzle Pieces at CRC and Studio Ballistico.
After playing only a few shows in support of the EP, Ashbach then took time off to reflect on life and everything other than music. But once again the music bug has bit and brought him back to familiar territory. He fell right back into Tim Sandusky's Studio Ballistico to collaborate on new music with all new musicians save for Jason Angelilli (his bass player and friend from grade school), who has become a stalwart writing companion.
Joining Adam and Jason in the studio, and rounding out the live show, is Neal O'Hara, Reid Muchow and Taras Horalewskyj. These talented musicians can be found playing out in multiple bands on any given night in Chicago. Their contagious desire has rubbed off on Ashbach. Eager to release his newest EP, Too Much Left To Write, Adam brought years of experience and what he likes to call "getting old" to the studio. For this go around, Adam is happy to be playing music for the joy leaving behind the drama of old bands and he is reveling in what is happening right now.
Black Watch (theatre) at Broadway Armory. National Theatre of Scotland in conjunction with Chicago Shakespeare Theatre
- Click here for our past coverage and show details. ChiIL Live Shows will be there for opening night and we'll have a full review up shortly.
- We're pretty stoked to see the highly acclaimed production of Black Watch, also by National Theatre of Scotland. Click the link for video clips, behind the scenes, reviews and more. We missed it the last time around and are eagerly awaiting it's return October 10th. It's playing at The Broadway Armory through Oct. 21st.
by Gregory Burke
directed by John Tiffanyat the Broadway Armory,
5917 N. Broadway, Chicago
October 10–21, 2012
“ A feast of rich and finely detailed work...A show those with even a drop of Scottish blood in their veins should not miss!”
–Chicago Tribune“HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Superb 'Black Watch' is riveting.”
**Recommended for audiences 13 years and older. The production contains very strong language, loud explosions and strobe lighting.**
Back by popular demand! CST brings the National Theatre of Scotland's world-renowned Black Watch to Chicago audiences for a return engagement at the Chicago Park District's Broadway Armory. This impassioned, urgent telling of a heroic Scottish regiment's tour in Iraq deftly interweaves events both past and present. Battles leap to heartrending life, glorious bagpipes resound, and the intimate moments of soldiers' lives are revealed as they discover what it means to make the journey home again.Approximate Running Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes (no intermission)
Nick Waterhouse (R & B music) at Lincoln Hall
ChiIL Live Shows will be there shooting stills. This should be one sweet show you won't want to miss. 21+
- BioNick Waterhouse is the New Breed – An R&B fanatic who combines an uncanny old-school sensibility with a charged, contemporary style. At just 25, He joins the ranks of a growing cabale of similar acts and producers of recent times – Mark Ronson, Mayer Hawthorne, the Daptone Crew et al – that are all moving forward into the past, yet all quite different. For Waterhouse, his muse is the over-modulated sound of vintage R&B, and his take on such a time-honored tradition evokes the back-alley thrill of New Orleans, Detroit and Memphis in their heyday. He combines an astute attention to detail with an honest desire to match the emotional impact of the music that inspires him.When asked to pinpoint the sound or style he strives for, Nick Waterhouse simply shrugs and responds, “American music. And I know that’s pretty general, but it is what it is. I have spent so much of my life immersed in this stuff, because I wanted to figure it out, [yet] all I figured out was that there was no plan.” In other words, whatever musical style Nick may choose to espouse, it’s not done because someone else did it, but done for the same reason someone else did it. “To me, [the music I play] is not a ‘type’ of music,” he emphasizes; “it IS music. The records I listen to ARE music. A record is a moment in time, and something recorded in 1955 is the same as something recorded in 2010.” Growing up in the Southern California, Waterhouse eschewed his surroundings and found emotional authenticity in the vintage wax of Ray Charles, Roy Head, Little Willie John and the whole panoply of American music, where feel so often trumps technique. After the sold out release of his own self-produced 45, the raunchy ‘Some Place’, and a string of exciting shows with his live group The Tarots, Nick went to work on his forthcoming full-length for Innovative Leisure – continuing an undeniably raw and rhythmic take on American music.His approach to production – entirely vintage analog equipment, open-reel tape machines, lacquer cutting machines, and even hand letter-pressed labels – has left a few fans wondering where and when he comes from; Long-lost deadstock Rhythm & Blues artifact? White or Black? New or old? It’s a fitting recall to the days of early Rock & Roll, when rhythms crossed the tracks and no-one was quite sure WHAT or WHO this music was. As LA Record bears witness, “You’ve gotta be one kind of maniac to produce like this, and a whole other kind to shout like this, and an even more frightening kind to make the first two maniacs work together. Nick pulling this all off simultaneously means preternatural powers in play”Career Highlights
Current ToursDateVenueCityStateWithTue 10/09/12DetroitMIAllah-Las, Richie WohlfeilWed 10/10/12ChicagoILAllah-Las, DJ MisaThu 10/11/12MinneapolisMNAllah-Las, Mike 2600Sun 10/14/12SeattleWAAllah-Las, Gred VandyMon 10/15/12BellinghamWAAllah-Las, DJ YogomanTue 10/16/12VancouverBCAllah-Las, Jonny Grayston (of the East Van Soul Club)Wed 10/17/12PortlandORAllah-Las, DJ BeyondaSat 10/20/12San FranciscoCAAllah-Las, DJ PrimoSun 10/21/12Los AngelesCAAllah-Las, Aquarium Drunkard/Light In The AtticFri 11/02/12AustinTX
- Nick Waterhouse performs live on KEXP
- Nick Waterhouse's SxSW performance highlighted on Rolling Stone
- Nick Waterhouse's SxSW performance praised by Chicago Tribune
- Nick Waterhouse featured in Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Edition 2012
- Nick Waterhouse on Last Call with Carson Daly
Mon 11/05/12Santa Fe Brewing CompanySanta FeNM
Wed 11/07/12San DiegoCA
The Luck of Eden Hall at The Burlington
only $5 suggested donation
Click here for The Burlington's main site
The Burlington is at Fullerton and Kimball in Logan Square
- ChiIL Live Shows will be there for opening night and we'll have a full review up shortly.
Local reggae crew Akasha will be supporting Hawaii’s The Green @ Bottom Lounge on Friday, Oct. 12. (17+)
Click here for all the Akasha details on Bottom Lounge's home page.
Click here for Akasha's Main Site